[Development] Build Qt 5 with MinGW 4.7?

Stephen Chu stephen at ju-ju.com
Sun Aug 26 16:03:33 CEST 2012

On 8/26/12 7:13 AM, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> Am 26.08.2012 09:31, schrieb Thiago Macieira:
>> Yes: make has a bug and it's hitting that.
>
> VPATH is also broken [1] in some mingw-w64 builds (eg. rubenvb).
>
>> You can upgrade, downgrade, "sidegrade", rebuild make with different
>> optimisation flags. Or even fix the bug.
>
> I have made positive experiences with mingw-builds [1], which usually
> work quite well.
>

> But be aware that building Qt using GCC C++11 (-std=c++11) can be quite
> tedious (at least it was), especially when it comes to JSC (namespace
> problems, non-standard syntax).
>
> You can theoretically create C++11 applications using C++98 Qt
> libraries. The problem is that GCC C++11 is not fully binary compatible
> with GCC C++98. But I'm quite sure Thiago can clarify on how this
> affects Qt binary compatibility.
>

> [1]
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=983354&aid=3545000&group_id=202880
> [2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Thanks for pointing out the build differences. I didn't realize there
are so many different builds of the same MinGW version. Switching to
mingw-builds get me further. But then I got this error:

cp qmake.exe C:\Qt\5.0\qtbase\bin\qmake.exe
g++: error: tmp/obj/debug_shared/arch.o: No such file or directory
mingw32-make: *** [arch.exe] Error 1
Could not find output file: No such file or directory
*** qtbase/configure exited with non-zero status.

I went to qtbase\config.text\arch and manually ran mingw32-make to
create the obj file in question. Then re-run configure and it worked.

I then noticed that C++11 feature is not enabled. I cleaned out all
files and re-ran configure with -c++11 and it complained that it's an
unknown option.

Since it's indicated in this thread that we can still build C++11
executable with non-C++11 Qt library, so I will just go ahead and build
Qt 5 without it.

Thanks for all the help.