[Development] Qt 5 beta

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 20:48:38 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

tar.bz2 is pretty common, along with tar.gz.
tar.xy, OTOH, is quite rare.

Googling tar.bz2 yields good results what to do with such a file.
Googling tar.xy yields nothing useful about what compression engine is used even used; Googling "compressed file extensions" yielded Wikipedia's list of archive formats which finally produced some useful info - that it's an LZMA2 compression.

While I understand that tar.xy may be smaller it's use general use seems to be limited so unless there is a supported platform/target that only uses tar.xy, I'd suggest dropping it and keeping tar.bz2 instead. Given a choice between a bzip and gzip, I'd personally choose bzips.

If space is a concern, then zip and tar.gz are probably sufficient for distribution.

$0.02

Ben