[Development] Qt 5 beta

Jonas M. Gastal jgastal at profusion.mobi
Thu Aug 30 22:02:13 CEST 2012

On Thursday 30 August 2012 11:48:38 BRM wrote:
> tar.bz2 is pretty common, along with tar.gz.
> tar.xy, OTOH, is quite rare.
>
> Googling tar.bz2 yields good results what to do with such a file.
> Googling tar.xy yields nothing useful about what compression engine is used
> even used; Googling "compressed file extensions" yielded Wikipedia's list
> of archive formats which finally produced some useful info - that it's an
> LZMA2 compression.
>
> While I understand that tar.xy may be smaller it's use general use seems to
> be limited so unless there is a supported platform/target that only uses
> tar.xy, I'd suggest dropping it and keeping tar.bz2 instead. Given a choice
> between a bzip and gzip, I'd personally choose bzips.
>
> If space is a concern, then zip and tar.gz are probably sufficient for
> distribution.
>
> $0.02
>
> Ben

I'm not sure wether it's just a typo, but you consistently write .xy so I'm
going to assume not. Also, first and third tar.xz results in google for me are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xz

Not being a packager I don't know, but I have a hard time imagining it's
harder to change your packaging scripts from Qt4 to Qt5 than from tar.bz2 to
tar.xz.