[Development] HELP NEEDED: Cleaning up the class documentation for Qt 5

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at nokia.com
Fri Aug 31 09:49:35 CEST 2012

On 08/30/2012 03:44 PM, Gladhorn Frederik (Nokia-MP/Oslo) wrote:
> Great stuff :)
>
> Jedrzej and I just started running our qdoc bot, similar to the sanity bot. It
> will post on commits where we suspect new documentation errors to be
> introduces. Let us know when it doesn't work.
> Currently it runs make docs in qtbase with patches that have been pushed and
> their parent commit to compare the difference in output.

Just to clarify: While there's also a real need to go through all the
qdoc warnings and fix them up (I know several people are working
steadily on that at the moment), the clean-up-list is specifically for
actually reading the documentation to look for phrasing or references
that are Qt 4-specific.

This could be anything from actual mentions of stuff like "the awesome
Qt 4 main window framework" to references to QWidget subclasses in other
modules than QtWidget where we would want to try to also add references
to QML (in the cases where this makes sense) or at least make the
documentation as frontend-agnostic as possible.

One example was in QSyntaxHighlighter where the description of the class
referred to a constructor which had been removed in Qt 5. This reference
was simply removed.

Another example was QTextDocument, which has now been rephrased a little
to identify the class as a general rich text layout engine, and not only
the back end for QTextEdit, which is just one isolated use case in Qt 5.

Note that for the great majority of the classes this will not be a
problem, but we won't know for sure until someone has read the
documentation and verified this.

-- Eskil