[Development] Qt 5 beta

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Aug 31 14:08:39 CEST 2012

> So, I'd say that our position is: stop complaining and upgrade. If you
> can't
> upgrade, there's .gz and you'll pay the penalty by increased disk space in
> your system.

First: no, that is not true. We will store the upstream tarball as bz2 on
the Community OBS anyway due to the debian tools and technology on the
community OBS what we have.
Second: premature disk space optimization is not a problem for us, but the
RAM usage is. The small size has a price.
Thirdly: The conversion is very slow in scratchbox which the developers use
locally and also on the build server.
Fourthly: I have not said xz would not be good, if it was as common as bz2
which is not right now among certain people.

Moreover, we have an open process for discussing development related issues
on the development mailing list, and I would personally propose to have
that for the release process as well.

I am sorry, but I cannot (and do not wish) hang around IRC all the day
along, and filter for gerrit is suboptimal for community discussions. You
could say the same for the development related topic, you just need to
follow Gerrit, but this is not how the community decided back then about
that process. I like the community decision about this very much, and I
would like to see the same happening about the releases.

Laszlo