[Development] Choosing a new MinGW for Qt 5

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Fri Aug 31 16:05:14 CEST 2012

On 30.08.2012 18:16, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> My suggestion on how to proceed is to choose one that offers the following or
> most of the following:
>
>   - most recent GCC (4.7 preferably, 4.6 if not)
>   - *working* GDB and tested with Creator, with Python support
>   - large file support, threading
>   - zero-overhead exceptions (no SJLJ exceptions)
>   - standard win32 headers, if possible using the Platform SDK headers
>   - large set of win32 import libraries
>   - 32 and 64-bit in one package
>   - make with -j support
>   - if this exists: can link to .dll directly, instead of import libs

     - should be also available in common distros as cross-compiler

In Ubuntu 12.04 we have this:
$ apt-cache search mingw
gcc-mingw-w64-i686 - GNU C compiler for MinGW-w64 targeting Win32
gcc-mingw-w64-x86-64 - GNU C compiler for MinGW-w64 targeting Win64
gcc-mingw32 - GNU Compiler Collection for MinGW32 (transition package)

I assume gcc-mingw32 is the official mingw32, it is only 32bit.

Fedora uses mingw-w64:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW/CrossCompilerFramework

So I would say mingw-w64 is the choice.

And if the Windows mingw-w64 setup misses some features we
should ask if this could be changed by the mingw-w64 project.

Peter