[Development] Branching 5.0

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Sun Dec 2 15:52:12 CET 2012

On Dec 1, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On quarta-feira, 28 de novembro de 2012 19.47.47, Knoll Lars wrote:
>> Transitional only. Will be closed for new pushes once the branches get
>> created. Patches that are already in gerrit can still be staged for around
>> a week to allow everybody to stage their pending changes. Master will then
>> get merged to dev, and we will then completely close master.
>
> Did you really mean "merged to dev" ?
>
> Most of the pending changes in master today are fixes that need to go into the
> 5.0 release, so the branch should be merged to stable, not dev.

I have been seeing lots of pending changes in master that are 5.1 material and being held back. So this way seems to be the safer approach.

Merging to stable has the disadvantage that we don't see what's going to be in 5.0, so I would prefer to rather make it explicit. Pushing changes to stable is not such a big problem.

Cheers,
Lars