[Development] Branching 5.0

Sergio Ahumada sergio.ahumada at digia.com
Mon Dec 3 12:43:17 CET 2012

On 12/03/2012 03:46 AM, Knoll Lars wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
>   wrote:

>>> I have been seeing lots of pending changes in master that are 5.1 material
>>> and being held back. So this way seems to be the safer approach.
>>>
>>> Merging to stable has the disadvantage that we don't see what's going to be
>>> in 5.0, so I would prefer to rather make it explicit. Pushing changes to
>>> stable is not such a big problem.
>>
>> We can finish the 5.0 changes in master for a week, merge that to stable, then
>> open it for the queued 5.1 changes and merge that.
>
> I'm a bit worried that this would make it harder to get the RC out of the door.
>
>> Note that most of the 5.1 changes have a "WIP" in their names and will require
>> re-pushing to Gerrit for a new commit message. Isn't that prevented by Gerrit?
>
> True, these need to be re-pushed to dev in any case.
>
> Cheers,
> Lars

Hi,

So as far as I understand, we should merge 'master' into 'dev' at some
point (twice a week?) and then delete the 'master' branch at some point.
This is mainly because we don't want to take non-blockers into 'stable'.

For those who need something into 'stable' which is already merged in
'master' I think that one solution could be to cherry-pick the specific
sha1 from 'master' into 'stable' and then push to 'refs/for/stable'. A
new CI run is needed though. Other ideas are welcomed.

If you are going to push something directly to 'stable', please provide
a Task-number to a blocker issue in JIRA.

Let's try to *just* push fixes for things that will block the release
<https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27426>, everything else
should go to 'dev'.

Cheers,
--