[Development] branch commit policy (Was: Branches)

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Tue Dec 4 12:28:57 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 04:29:24PM +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:
> Dev is the branch where you can land anything that's supposed to go into 5.1. The following policies apply:
>
> Stable:
>
> This branch will be the basis for Qt 5.0 and subsequent patch level releases. The following policies apply here:

as clearly some people are *already* doing it wrong, i'd like to remind
everyone of the obvious other side of branching: merging.

in all clarity: we have a merge-only policy between long-living branches
in the same repository. there are *no* cherry-picks (you get slapped
hard for every single one). submit fixes to the lowest applicable branch
(generally stable, later release for release-critical problems) and wait
for them being forward-merged to dev by a qualified merge master.