[Development] dist/changes-x.y.z (was: Re: Branches)

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Thu Dec 6 19:01:06 CET 2012

On Thursday December 6 2012, shane.kearns at accenture.com wrote:
> > On Monday December 3 2012, Knoll Lars wrote:
> > > Dev:
> > >
> > > Dev is the branch where you can land anything that's supposed to go
> > > into 5.1. The following policies apply:
> > >
> > > * Changes have to be source and binary compatible
> > > * You can add new method and classes given that they are fully
> > > documented and tested * Please do not add half finished features.
> > > Create your own branch for that, and only push your changes once the
> >
> > feature is fully done.
> >
> > Should we add:
> >
> > * carries a change to dist/changes-5.1.0 if it's (Qt-)user-visible (bug
> > fixes,
> >   new features, performance fixes)?
> >
> > Same for stable once 5.0.0 branches off?
>
> This would cause many more staging conflicts, as most changes would touch
> the same file.

If we're successful, this will be a non-issue once a few dozen entries have
been added (unless everyone tries to append instead of inserting entries in
some sorted order).

> I'd suggest that bug fixes should not touch the changes
> file, only new features.

That would be a change from previous practice (changes-4.8.x, say; I've
understood changes-5.0.0 to be a one-time glitch), which probably didn't
include all, but at least some bug fixes.

Thanks,
Marc