[Development] Question on QWS/QPA

Arunprasad Rajkumar ararunprasad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:00:35 CET 2012

Hello Developers,

I'm new to QT. Basically I understood like QWS/QPA reduces porting QT to
custom embedded devices without touching the core functionality of QtGui.
Also it is a architectural split down of functionality and porting layer.
QWS is a legacy model & have some limitation, so we can't fully utilize the
OpenGL ES-2.0 greater advantages, so QPA born to solve. QPA also remove the
Windowing Server code, so again it is upto the gfx platform to have window
server,...

Coming to the picture, :)

We are still stick with the legacy QWS model where we implemented custom
gfxplugins to work on our graphics stack. We would like to have
multi-process application model, where each our QT Applications should be
executed in different address space to address the integrity and stability
issues. Even-though we would like to have a multi-process app model, our
graphics hardware doesn't allow us to use it from multiple processes. In
QWS model, the first application we are running will be come the Window
Server, which loads the gfxplugins and uses it render on the screen, and
next running application will become client, bringing client to display
will be taken care by server. My question is, whether gfxcalls of client
will be proxied over to server (or) client always draws into shared
memory(software) and server composites on screen..?

--
*Arunprasad Rajkumar*
http://in.linkedin.com/in/ararunprasad