[Development] dist/changes-x.y.z (was: Re: Branches)

Jedrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at digia.com
Fri Dec 7 09:27:42 CET 2012

On Thursday 6. December 2012 19.08.41 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2012 17:58:57 shane.kearns at accenture.com wrote:
> > > Hi Lars,

> > > feature is fully done.
> > >
> > > Should we add:
> > >
> > > * carries a change to dist/changes-5.1.0 if it's (Qt-)user-visible (bug
> > > fixes,
> > >
> > >   new features, performance fixes)?
> > >
> > > Same for stable once 5.0.0 branches off?
> >
> > This would cause many more staging conflicts, as most changes would touch
> > the same file. I'd suggest that bug fixes should not touch the changes
> > file, only new features.
>
> I suggest we add a new header in our commit messages such as "Changelog:"
> Someting that can be parsed to generate the changelog automatically.

Hi,

  Another alternative is to say that in dist/changes we should have only a
major changes and bug fixes. It means that we need to filter every commit that
has Qt bug number in it or it is a merge from a feature branch. The
alternative is nice, because it would work with the current work flow, without
changing anything, we only need to be strict about feature merge commit
message, it should be verbose, describing the feature. That is all, everything
else can be generated from git log and jira.

Cheers,
  Jędrek