[Development] RFC: What constitutes a "non-destabilising" bug-fix?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Dec 7 10:41:53 CET 2012

Hi,

This is a Request For Clarification regarding
 http://qt-project.org/wiki/Branch-Guidelines -> Permanent Regime/2

The definition of the branches at the top of the page only talks about the
quality of the code, not what kind of changes are acceptable.

The only indication for what is acceptable for submission to 'stable' is the
text boxes in the graphics under point 2 of section Permanent
Regime: "non-destabilising bugfixes".

For me, by definition, any bug-fix targets to be stablising; to distinguish
stablising and destabilising bugfixes thus requires the art of precognition,
which I sadly lack...

On IRC, we see opinions ranging from 'regression-only fixes' to 'basically any
bug fix, as long as it doesn't violate the BC and string freeze that 'stable'
is under'.

So can we get a more concrete indication of what it acceptable in 'stable',
please?

Case in point is the following, btw:
  https://codereview.qt-project.org/41507

Thanks,