[Development] RFC: What constitutes a "non-destabilising" bug-fix?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Sun Dec 9 14:22:43 CET 2012

On Saturday December 8 2012, Thiago Macieira wrote:
[...]
> We'll create the releases branch for the RC2 then.

Ok, trying to summarise, I understand it this way:

1. release-critical fixes are submitted and merged to 'stable' now,
   'release' later, when it exists.
   No-brainer fixes are also welcome.
2. bug-fixes that don't violate string or BC freezes are submitted,
   but NOT merged, against stable.
   They will be merged once RC2 is tagged and 'release' is branched off.
   Maintainers and other reviewers can redirect a fix to 'dev' instead,
   but all fixes that don't require string or BiC changes should initially be
   submitted to 'stable'.
   [Personally, I'd add that if a fix goes to 'dev' instead of 'stable',
   then the commit message should say why.]
3.  new features and bug-fixes that require new strings or BiC changes should
   be submitted to 'dev' directly.

Correct?

BTW: Two of the three commits that have landed in 'dev' so far are bug-fixes
(one bug-fix and one tests/-only change, to be precise; the third is the
addition of changes-5.1.0), which shows that the 'stable' rules seem to be
interpreted too strictly, currently.

Thanks,
Marc