[Development] qt-jambi-interest at qt.nokia.com

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Dec 11 03:29:18 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2012 01.06.56, Darryl Miles wrote:
> I think all of the other matters can be worked through except for the
> domain name issue and if that has to be changed (by renaming the
> project) then all the other other issues become moot.
>
> I can not think why Nokia would still want to keep it, so maybe simply
> it was never asked/requested to be transferred, so maybe as part of me
> making contact with Qt Project legal team.  Someone can at least ask the
> question at Nokia with the right people who could resolve the matter, so
> far I feel like we've always been talking to the wrong people.  Maybe I
> should speak with Digia sales director and convince them of all the
> money they might lose hehe.

I think you're confusing again the Qt Project with Digia.

The Qt Project has nothing to do with the deal between Digia and Nokia that
concluded in the transfer of IP and the people from one company to the other.
The only thing that touches the project is that the CLA now refers to Digia,
not Nokia.

If you want Digia to obtain the rights to Qt Jambi's IP, you need to contact
Digia, not the Qt Project Legal contact.

> I would think it is in everyone's future interest to obtain it, from my
> point of view ideally to have Qt Project Hosting Foundation be the new
> owner.  Then some agreement in place to re-delegate it as necessary.

That's unlikely to happen. The Hosting Foundation does hosting. It does not
own any IP.

> >> There is also the angle on continuing to use trolltech.com references
> >> within the code base, I see there is a QTBUG about stopping doing that
> >> in Qt, is there a legal basis this needs to be done ?
> >
> > The trolltech.com domain name did not transfer. Given the task and the
> > domain, I would guess that the Qt Project no longer has any rights to it.
> > I would recommend you rename the Java packages as soon as feasible.
> >

> But I take from your comments there isn't a legal reason to change the
> name more a social reason.

No, quite to the contrary: there seems to be legal reason to change. The
Trolltech name stayed with Nokia (apparently) and we should stop using it.