[Development] QML Runtime

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Tue Dec 11 13:51:13 CET 2012

On Dec 11, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at kdab.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2012-12-11, Knoll Lars wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at kdab.com>
>>
>> wrote:

>>> The main difficulty I see is how to determine which application class to
>>> instantiate.
>>>
>>> If you load a non-UI QML file you might not want QGuiApplication to be
>>> instantiated.
>>> If you load a QtQuick1 file you'll need QApplication instantiated.
>>
>> I'd assume that the runtime will be limited to Qt Quick 2.
>
> Ah, pity :-/
> I was hoping for a generic QML runtime :)
>
>>> If you load a BB10 Cascades application you'll need a
>>> bb::cascades::Application (which is a direct subclass of
>>> QCoreApplication) instantiated.
>>
>> Yikes. Do you really need a different Application type for Cascades? That's
>> pretty bad IMO.
>
> KDE has been doing that for years as well and I've seen it in customer
> projects also.

Yes, and we always tried to get rid of that subclassing. It has quite some issues.

> I guess subclassing and putting your init code into your constructor and your
> shutdown code into your destructur is just the most obvious thing to do to the
> common C++ developer.

Application developers can do that, but I rarely see a need for it to be honest.

But if you do this in frameworks, you're creating a *major* problem. Esp. in this case as you say you inherit from QCoreApplication.

Tell me: How can I as an application developer use Cascades together with QPainter, or a Qt image loader? I can't, as I don't have a QApplication when using cascades, or I don't have a cascades app when using QApp. I can't use the OpenGL support from Qt neither. Basically all I can use is Qt Core, Network and that's it.

It's a major showstopper for interoperability.

Please fix this when bringing things over to Qt 5.0, ideally before.

Lars