[Development] qt-jambi-interest at qt.nokia.com

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Dec 11 16:47:55 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2012 09.50.19, Darryl Miles wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I think you're confusing again the Qt Project with Digia.
>
> You had stated the "Qt Project legal team" consists of one person in the
> legal department at Digia.
>
> So in corresponding with this person both hats can be addressed.

You assume that this person in Digia can speak for the Digia issues you have.
That's not a given.

Besides, many of the issues you have that are Digia's concern aren't legal
issues. They are business issues.

> > That's unlikely to happen. The Hosting Foundation does hosting. It does
> > not
> > own any IP.
>
> Is the organization termed "Qt Project" a single entity and is "The
> Hosting Foundation" (Qt Project Hosting; is the name I see in the footer
> of website) that same entity.
>
> I am asking here if the Qt Project is actually a collection of entities
> or a single entity that is referred to by different names at different
> times.

The Qt Project Hosting Foundation is a single entity and it does not own any
IP. It owns servers and it does hosting. The copyrights, trademarks and even
patents of whatever content this foundation hosts still belong with their
original owners.

The "Qt Project" is a loose organisation of people who have the same goal,
around the same source code. There is no entity behind it. You're part of it.
If you don't remember signing anything or any official announcements of becoming
a part of anything, that's showing how loose this organisation is.

> >> But I take from your comments there isn't a legal reason to change the
> >> name more a social reason.
> >
> > No, quite to the contrary: there seems to be legal reason to change. The
> > Trolltech name stayed with Nokia (apparently) and we should stop using it.
>
> Ok you didn't provide that stance in your comment before so it is good
> you clarified it.

"The trolltech.com domain did not transfer"
"the Qt Project no longer has any rights to it"
"I would recommend you rename the Java packages as soon as feasible"

> Hence I don't myself see it as an action the Qt Jambi project _must_
> legally take even if Nokia continue to retain the name.  The drive to
> change it comes from improving the Qt Jambi project not a legal concern;
> the outcome the same.

Right. It's a very strong recommendation to do it :-)