[Development] Convenience Imports in QML

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 19:25:30 CET 2012

> > I understand others' concerns about "load-performance".  <snip>,

> The concern about load-performance isn't about "users now have an
> informed choice between faster development speed or faster runtime
> speed". The concern is about people using import Qt 5.0 because it's
> convenient, and then getting upset when it's too slow at runtime and
> they don't realize why. We can offer power users this convenient
> choice when we have a solution for ensuring average users don't
> accidentally cripple themselves without knowing what they did wrong.

Fair point:  "Be clean up-front so you don't need to clean up later."

> > Another option might be a "special-version-number" like "latest" that
> > resolves to the "latest-version":
> >
> >   // (fictional) import-latest:
> >   import QtQuick.Window latest
>
> You're basically asking to opt-out of the versioning system. If we
> thought that was a good idea, we wouldn't require all module imports
> to be versioned.

Well, golly, when you say it like *that*...  ;-))

> Short explanation is that your deployed applications
> could easily break and there's no real need to skip versioning. Long
> explanation is here: http://alan.imagin-itis.net/?p=322 .

That link is a good read.  You addressed this point (in the link above)
with:

*Q:* What if I always want the latest and greatest?
*ML:* You don’t. <snip>

I now withdraw my comment, and concede that specific-versioning-on-import
is a, "good idea".

--charley