[Development] heads-up: QtWebKit's SQLite dependency

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Wed Dec 12 12:42:20 CET 2012

Hi,

QtWebKit requires SQLite for various web related storage mechanism (including
cookies). That dependency is quite old actually, but we've done some changes
now that clean up the way that dependency is satisfied. Ideally should affect
only very few people, but it is quite likely to include folks cross-compiling
Qt, targetting Linuxy platforms.

The new state of the SQLite dependency union therefore is:

    (1) WebKit will try to use pkg-config to detect and use SQLite from the
system. Alternatively on Mac OS X sqlite is always availble as a system
library and conveniently used from there.

    (2) If option number 1 doesn't apply, then we try to see if QtWebKit is
being built as part of a qt5.git checkout (same applies to release tarballs)
and we will try to compile in a copy of SQLite right into QtWebKit, the copy
that's distributed in qtbase/src/3rdparty/sqlite.

   (3) If we also fail to locate Qt's copy of sqlite, then we do require the
SQLITE3SRCDIR environment variable to be set to point to a location where the
sources can be found. qtbase/src/3rdparty/sqlite is one such location.

Folks cross-compiling are likely to miss case (1) and might consider enabling
the use of pkg-config. Folks compiling on Windows should consider building
under qt5/ or setting the SQLITE3SRCDIR environment variable.

Simon