[Development] QAction-like API for QML

Bache-Wiig Jens Jens.Bache-Wiig at digia.com
Sun Dec 16 22:12:18 CET 2012

> But if you are writing a 100% declarative UI you'd probably wish to
> avoid linking against widgets.  So I guess you're saying regular old
> QActions should be exposed just for putting a declarative UI onto
> legacy apps, and also there should be a new QQuick action, which is an
> unrelated class?

Yes. That is exactly what I am proposing. We will support the parts of QAction that we can for legacy and portability, but we will introduce a new QQuickAction class for QML. You can use both with QML but you can only (directly) use QAction with widgets.

>> I know that we can _force_ QML ActionGroup into becoming a visual description of a Menu but I don't get why that is a god idea. Menu is already an abstraction designed to describe a menu. Remember that in widgets, QActionGroup as a concept that is more similar to what we called CheckableGroup on Meego components. It does not at all indicate proximity or visual representation.
>
> Then I guess you don't place much value on reducing verbosity in QML.

Not if it means making the API worse. I will not repeat the arguments here.

> If you create the actions in C++, you'd still have to repeat each and
> every one in QML, unless we provide a way to iterate over the ones
> that should be in a menu, or a toolbar.

How about having ToolBar.addAction() for convenience? It is exactly what we do for widgets.

>> Sure. But we don't actually have support for logical icon names on Windows, Mac or Embedded since we don't have pixmaps for those.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.

This is really sidetracking the discussion but Windows and Mac do not have default action icons built-in and we do not ship those icons with Qt. There are practical and legal reasons for that. Most apps probably don't want to carry the extra data.

Jens