[Development] QAction-like API for QML

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at kdab.com
Tue Dec 18 10:26:20 CET 2012

On Sunday, 2012-12-16, Bache-Wiig Jens wrote:

> >> Sure. But we don't actually have support for logical icon names on
> >> Windows, Mac or Embedded since we don't have pixmaps for those.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> This is really sidetracking the discussion but Windows and Mac do not have
> default action icons built-in and we do not ship those icons with Qt.
> There are practical and legal reasons for that. Most apps probably don't
> want to carry the extra data.

When I first read that I didn't see how this could be true. It seemed you were
saying that applications on Windows and Mac were creating icon pixmaps at
runtime (because they can't get native pixmap from the OS and they wouldn't
ship icon data).

Now, you've most likely seen way more Qt apps than I have, but all I have seen
were shipping icons, most of them as part of their resources, some as files.

Both mechanisms which by design load icon data by name, so at least from my
empirical data I am quite puzzled to learn that iconName would be sufficient
for specifying icons.

Drawing icons on demand sounds very cumbersome to me.

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Kevin Krammer | kevin.krammer at kdab.com | Software Engineer