[Development] requesting an own 4.8-blackberry10 branch on gitorious

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Tue Dec 18 22:12:38 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen
<oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com> wrote:
> i'll leave it at noting that this is somewhat weird, and that "the
> project" may still decide that this doesn't belong into the upstream
> repo.

While it does sound a bit extreme, and I sort of pity the folks
working on that branch, I'd actually say that, in terms of vendors,
it's exactly what we'd want. It means they're actively working at
upstreaming their work, and don't want to diverge too far from "us".
Having lost far too many hours of my life digging into obscure changes
between vendor branches and upstream of all sorts of software in the
past, I'd love this approach.

The project has an additional benefit of course, in that all changes
are already under the CLA, meaning that we can pick and choose pieces
that are beneficial to us in some way rather than having to play the
"wait-and-hope-they-get-submitted" game.

But on the other hand, if you want to easily keep people like me
employed, feel free to not do this. :-)