[Development] QAction-like API for QML

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Wed Dec 19 14:17:54 CET 2012

On 19 Dec 2012, at 12:57 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I agree. In particular, using objectName for both the name of the action and
> automatically for part of the name of the icon seems like a bad idea to me.

Well objectName has such little use that it's usually left blank, whereas it would be nice if it were not blank when you are debugging sometimes.  That's my usual use case, just to label objects for debugging.  If ID were exposed in the object, that would also suffice for debugging, and for searching for objects; then we wouldn't need objectName I guess.  That's always seemed odd to me, that id is useful for referring to objects in QML, but you can't see it at runtime, whereas objectName is visible at runtime but doesn't get used much.  If it had a broader purpose it would make more sense.