[Development] How to specify Windows Application Icon through qmake?

1+1=2 dbzhang800 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:02:21 CET 2012

Hi all,

At present, if we want to setting the Application Icon under Windows
platform, we should create a xxx.rc file first, then pass the file path to
qmake variable RC_FILE. see:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/appicon.html

I hope that we can directly specify the Application Icon through one
variable. such as

```
    win32:ICON = myapp.ico
```

or

```
   RC_ICONS = myapp.ico myapp2.ico
```

But I don't know which one is better.

For method 1:

The ICON has been used to special Application Icon for Mac and Symbian in
Qt4.

```
mac: ICON = myapp.icns
symbian*:ICON = myapp.svg
```
IMO, it make sense to reuse this variable for Windows.

For method 2:

As there already exist two variable RC_LANG and RC_CODEPAGE which used to
generate the .rc file. so a new variable  RC_ICONS can be introduced to
generate:

```
 IDI_ICON1               ICON    DISCARDABLE     "myapp.ico"
 IDI_ICON2               ICON    DISCARDABLE     "myapp2.ico"
```

Any idea?

Best regards,

Debao