[Development] Qt 5 reelase with mingw ???

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 21 20:57:22 CET 2012

On sexta-feira, 21 de dezembro de 2012 20.48.36, Randolph D. wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. this is unbearable. Why do you support Microsoft
> with a closed source compiler?

For several reasons:
 1) Microsoft Visual Studio produces better code
 2) it compiles faster
 3) lots of people who use Qt are using it (including commercial customers)

> I cannot use Qt because I have no MS  Visual Studio 2010 and then there is
> the need to install the plugin for that.

There is no need to install a plugin. You can download Visual Studio Express
2010 or 2012. It's free (as in beer), but it might have some extra strings
attached.

> Has it advantages to mingw? this is really odd for the open source kit Qt.

We also support Intel's closed source compiler. And we also used to support
many other ones, like Sun's, IBM's, and HP's (on Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX
respectively), but I haven't seen anyone report anything about them for Qt 5.
For a while, we also supported ARM's RVCT (for Symbian only).

We support compilers that are decent and our users use, in addition to the
open source compilers. As for MinGW's case, the problem is that their
community can't get their act together and release a good compiler that works.
We've been at it for months trying to see which one to use. There was simply
not enough time to fix all build issues.

> Still in the hand of Nokia and Microsoft???

That's just nonsense, to put it mildly. Don't say stupid things you know
aren't true if you want to be taken seriously.