[Development] QtMultimedia BIC / header cleanliness issue

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 12:11:32 CET 2012

On 25 December 2012 01:35, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 24 de dezembro de 2012 06.30.58, Sascha Cunz wrote:
>> But strictly spoken, I would rather say no: BC is BC no matter what silly
>> mistakes it includes (I have actually had to deal with code that used the
>> above mentioned inheritance layouts).
>> OTOH, it's still very early in the life of released Qt5.
>
> We can change the soname for the library. libQt5Multimedia.so.6.

I've never seen Qt DLLs that have additional numbers on Windows; is
the changing-soname approach acceptable on Windows and Mac?

Whatever solution is taken, we'll need to add notes to the
documentation of both classes, either to say "Binary files that
include this interface are incompatible between Qt 5.0 and Qt 5.1", or
"This interface class contains a bug, do not perform a deletion
through it."

Sze-Howe