[Development] Feature freeze and Alpha

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Mon Feb 6 18:34:00 CET 2012

Hi, can we have please a Qt 5 landing page where all this information
cam be found or linked? It looks like the closest now is

http://wiki.qt-project.org/5.0_Feature_Targets

On 02/05/2012 06:12 AM, ext lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> We're now starting with our feature freeze

> We will soon have to start preparing the Alpha of Qt5. The purpose of the
> Alpha release is to validate the APIs, as well as to get some first
> general feedback on Qt5 as a product.

> The beta will then expose this to a wider audience and the focus there is
> mostly to find the remaining bugs and showstoppers, not to work on the API
> anymore.

We should use these steps to fasten also our Qt 5 marketing deliveries. See

http://wiki.qt-project.org/Marketing/Qt_5_release

- The feature freeze offers the bulk of novelties that Qt 5 contains.

- By the alpha release we should have defined the core story and top
items to push. Also the deliveries we expect beyond code.

- By the beta release we should have the rough content in place, good
enough to be useful to the beta release itself. Core text and images /
diagrams should be there.

- Between beta and final we should focus on the production of more
complex deliveries e.g. Qt 5 intro video. If we have planned any kind of
launch activities then that will be the time of last minute rush.  :)

We will need the help of the maintainers extracting the best juice out
of Qt 5. I hope Lars has time to follow and review, just as if this
would be a component more of the release.

Some months back I asked who would coordinate the Qt release marketing
this time, only to find eyes looking back at me.  :O

Until now Qt releases marketing has been pushed by a team inside
Trolltech / Nokia. I hope we will move to an open and distributed
effort, just like the rest of the Qt Project. Anybody interested in
joining please come to the [Marketing] list.

--
Quim