[Development] mailto links in Qt Assistant - a fix?

David Burson david_burson at ntm.org
Tue Feb 7 20:26:21 CET 2012

Hi,

We're using Qt 4.7.4 and discovered when you click a mailto link in a custom
help file in Qt Assistant, nothing happens.

Here's our fix, showing lines 171-179 in the end of
AbstractHelpViewer::launchWithExternalApp(const QUrl &) in
[Qt]\tools\assistant\tools\assistant\helpviewer.cpp

            actualTmpFile.close();

            return
QDesktopServices::openUrl(QUrl(actualTmpFile.fileName()));

        }

    } else if (url.scheme() == QLatin1String("http") ||

               url.scheme() == QLatin1String("mailto")) {

      return QDesktopServices::openUrl(url);

    }

    return false;

}

The only change was replacing the old line 174, which tests for url.scheme()
= "http", with lines 174-175, which adds the extra test for "mailto".

My question:  is there a reason "mailto" was deliberately omitted, or is it
a bug?  Is this a reasonable fix?  Or is there some security issue with
allowing mailto links like this?

Thanks,

David