[Development] RFC: The Future of QDoc

Manuel Nickschas manuel.nickschas at nokia.com
Thu Feb 9 17:33:30 CET 2012

On Thursday 09 February 2012 15:36:09 ext Olivier Goffart wrote:

> > I am working on QDoc part-time and we have been discussing some changes
> > that we would like to implement to make qdoc more future proof. I have
> > created a short list of the things we would like to do:
> > http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Category:Tools::QDoc
> >
> > It comes down to: Implement a new C++ parser, make qdoc more modular and
> > be
> > able to handle the Qt modules better with qdoc.
> >
> > I am wondering if anybody has any ideas about what he/she would like qdoc
> > to do, or how qdoc should evolve?
>
> Have you thought about using doxygen or any similar tool?

Or at least make QDoc be able to parse doxygen-style comments (which also
means it should not ignore headers, as documenting public API in a header file
is much more common at least outside Qt than doing that in the implementation
file...)

I'd be happy to see Qt use or at least support more standard solutions over
homegrown ones. Since that failed for localization, maybe we can at least get
it for documentation :)

BR,
~ Sput
--
Manuel "Sput" Nickschas         | mailto: manuel.nickschas at nokia.com |   .-.
Senior SW Engineer, Middlelayer | callto: +49 (0) 174 16 53 993      |   oo|