[Development] RFC: The Future of QDoc

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Thu Feb 9 18:13:33 CET 2012

On Thursday 09 February 2012 17:56:12 marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
> On 09/02/2012 10:16, ext Hugo Parente Lima wrote:

> >> There's also the KDevelop C++ parser. It already supports many
> >> C++11 features and run very fast. As far as I'm aware it doesn't
> >> depends on any KDE libraries (Qt only) and already has the ability
> >> to extract Doxygen-style comments. I don't know if there are any
> >> KDevelop people on this list who can comment further?
> >
> > The KDevelop parser is based on a version of Roberto's parser, last
> > time I checked the sources it used few KDE utility classes like some
> > smart pointers, but I see no difference in using the KDevelop or
> > QtCreator parser as both are more or less the same.
>
> QtCreators parser is a much later version of Roberto's parser, and I
> expect that it parses much faster than the KDevelop one. I'm sure
> QtCreators parser can be upgraded to also handle those new C++11
> features, and since we need to maintain it in Creator anyways, I don't
> see why it should use another parser than a one we already have intimate
> knowledge about?
>
> > I nice ability QDoc would have is to support other output formats
> > like XML or JSON, the old QDoc had this feature but it was deprecated
> > and not documented at all.
> >
> > The PySide documentation is generated using the XML output of qdoc3,
> > but the current version of qdoc3 doesn't support XML output anymore.
>
> Oops. Casper, Martin any details about this, and why XML output was
> dropped? Hugo, any reason why PySide cannot use the normal output?
> Integration with other help tools?

XML output was dropped because it wasn't maintained and was never made public,
it always was a private experimental thing from qdoc3.

We couldn't use the normal output because we need to modify the Qt
documentation without touch the Qt sources, so the qdoc3 outputs XML files
generated from Qt sources, we apply some XSLT's to change small things, then
we transform those XML's into rst files and send them to sphinx to create the
docs formatted in a "python friendly" way.

--
Hugo Parente Lima