[Development] Feature freeze and Alpha

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Feb 10 00:23:59 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 9 de fevereiro de 2012 20.00.40, John Layt wrote:
> 1) Change QLocale date/time format API to match ICU/CLDR features.  This is
> by  necessity a source-incompatible change.
>
> 2) Change the date/time format codes to match ICU/CLDR codes.  This is by
> necessity a source and behaviour incompatible change.

Hi John

Can you explain in more detail what those source-incompatible changes would
be? How much would they affect user code?

Should we consider a compatibility API? If we do that, then you're free to
introduce the CLDR-compatible codes later in new functions without breaking
the old ones.

> 3) Add a QCalendarSystem API. While not 100% necessary for 5.0, it sets up
> the  API usage pattern for when ICU is introduced.

I think we're past the time for this to go in 5.0. It can wait for 5.1,
provided the necessary adaptations for it to work are in place.

> 4) Change the QLocale number settings API like decimalPoint() from
> returning  QChar to QString.  This is by necessity a source-incompatible
> change.

This one seems like a simple enough change with restricted damage. I'd
recommend doing it immediately, regardless of ICU or CLDR, provided Lars
approves it.