[Development] QML engine C++ class renaming

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Feb 15 09:46:34 CET 2012

On quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2012 08.22.17, martin.jones at nokia.com
wrote:
> This is a heads-up regarding the renaming of QML C++ classes.  As per
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-23737 class names that
> currently begin with QDeclarative* will be renamed Qml*, for example
> QDeclarativeEngine will become QmlEngine.

Q followed by lowercase letters used to be reserved for third-party
implementations. The Q in Qt classes means Qt itself, it's not the first letter
in another acronym. So these classes should actually be called "QQml".

I'm more worried that we're now duplicating the entire set of QML language-
support classes in the Qt Quick 1 and 2 modules. That means there's absolutely
no chance of compatibility in C++ between 1 and 2...

But was there any? I mean, if the use of the scene graph already made every
single C++ usage of QML have to be modified, there's no further harm by
renaming some classes.

One final question: is it possible for the Qt Quick 1 module to use the Quick 2
language module (QT += qml) and simply wrap it with its QDeclarative classes,
retaining compatibility?