[Development] QML engine C++ class renaming

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Wed Feb 15 11:43:35 CET 2012

On Wednesday 15 February 2012 10:44:46 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2012 18.59.45, Alan Alpert wrote:
> > > Q followed by lowercase letters used to be reserved for third-party
> > > implementations. The Q in Qt classes means Qt itself, it's not the first
> > > letter in another acronym. So these classes should actually be called
> > > "QQml".

We just need to add the Qml prefix to that policy.
(Phonon namespace had been added as well, remember)

Speaking of namespace, I would have loved to see Qml in a namespace

(I would also have loved to see Qt in a namespace, but it is a too big source
compatibility change because of all the forward declaration)

> > The Q in QML means Qt itself. I'd be happy with QMlEngine if that floats
> > your boat (except we probably aren't renaming everything again just to
> > change capitalization :P ).
>
> In "QmlFoo", the first three letters refer to the acronym or technology name
> "QML", otherwise the m wouldn't be lowercase. I don't think we want to
> expand the M because the word it stands for is just marketing and has
> little to do with what the language is.
>
> To be honest, QMLEngine is better than QmlEngine.

No.
Qt naming convention says otherwise. (QXmlFoo, QUrl)
It was changed in Qt4.0: Acronyms are writen CamelCase as every other words.