[Development] QML engine C++ class renaming

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Wed Feb 15 12:31:58 CET 2012

On Wednesday 15 February 2012 10:56:54 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 2012 09.53.29, aaron.kennedy at nokia.com
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 15/02/2012, at 9:44 AM, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > How big are the Qt Quick 1 language support classes? I'm asking so we
> > > can
> > > have an idea of how much maintenance effort those classes will be. I
> > > assume that they will continue to use V8, which will be continually
> > > updated and modified to support Qt Quick 2 and that introduces risk of
> > > regressions and breakages.
> >
> > No.  They would literally be copies of the 4.8 classes, so would rely on
> > QtScript and JSC and not V8.
>
> That's even more work to be maintained. Are we prepared to do that?
>
> How's the compatibility going so far? If they are using today the V8 engine,
> I assume you've taken steps to keep compatibility issues limited. Why can't
> we keep on using that?

They did not keep compatibility.
The declarative team just pretended that the QScriptEngine was internal and
any use of it was not supported. But many QtQuick1 application used it.
The only way to make QtQuick1 usefull is to make a copy.

Anyway, this is a compatibility library. It's sole role is to be there to help
transition (just like qt3support was)

But there is a slight problem: QtQuick1 relies a lot on internal API and
private headers.
Meaning it is going to break really soon as our internals API are changed.