[Development] Changing qreal to a float

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Fri Feb 17 12:39:08 CET 2012

João:

> I think the even better approach, once the necessary changes are done
> inside Qt and things settle down, is to drop qreal completely. Don't
> pick float or real, don't define it. Or typedef it to some dummy type:
>
>    class qreal_IsNoMore {};
>    typedef qreal_IsNoMore qreal;
>
> Force users of qreal to make a conscious decision on what they meant to
> use. Less error-prone, less chances for silent breakages.

  The problem with this approach is that one may have
  a multi-platform application developed in 4.x that
  wrote QReal data to a file and now the app is up-
  graded to Qt 5.x; the QReal data is still there in
  the user's files and it is not necessarily float
  *OR* double; it is whichever size any given platform
  implementation used for QReal.

  If QReal is simply deprecated, the Qt 5.x version of
  the app remains data compatible with the old files with
  no work on the developer's part. But if QReal entirely
  disappears, the developer will have to write nasty code
  that figures out, on each supported platform, whether
  the old QReal data should be interpreted as floats or
  doubles. This sounds quite error-prone.

                                Atlant

This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

Thank you.