[Development] Changing qreal to a float

andre.poenitz at nokia.com andre.poenitz at nokia.com
Mon Feb 20 10:33:27 CET 2012

> Ramsay Lincoln (Nokia-MP/Brisbane) wrote:
> On 02/17/2012 09:58 PM, ext lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> > On the idea itself I'd like to hear some more opinions. Removing qreal
> > would cause some SC breakage, but you would also get a compile error on
> > places that could break. Unfortunately the signal to noise ratio would
> > most likely be pretty bad.
>
> I vote for removing it. I think that's better than making it just float
> or double.

This needlessly removes existing functionality. We promised to try
hard to not do that in the Qt 4-> Qt 5 transition. Removing the typedef
is essentially a showstopper for people currently relying on double.

Leaving the 'qreal' typedef (to float...) hurts less as it can be fixed by
recompilation,  and is not does not affect code size and performance
compared to a global search&replace.

Andre'