[Development] QLog ( Work on qDebug and friends)

wolfgang.beck at nokia.com wolfgang.beck at nokia.com
Wed Feb 22 01:21:41 CET 2012

QLOG ENABLED

I guess you misunderstood me.
QLog is enabled ONLY if a config file was found.
We have 3 ways to define the config file:
1. Default using application name configuration default path and organization name for the path
2. Application developer can call the QLog function "setDefaultConfigFile
3. Config file is defined in the environmane variable "QLOG_CONFIG_FILE".
This logic was discussed in the mailing list.
Please have a look at http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,13226
QLogPrivate constructor in qlog.cpp.

To be crystal clear:

QLog       |   QLog
Enabeld |  Config File
--------------------------
NO          | no file defined
NO          | no file found
YES          | file found

QLOG WIRTES INTO OUTPUT FILE OR STDERR

If you don't specify "OutputFile" in the QLog config file or the environment variable "QLOG_CONFIG_FILE" the output will be stderr (default).
ONLY if you specify the "OutputFile" key file or the environment variable "QLOG_CONFIG_FILE" QLog will write into that file.
We assume for the next table that QLog is enabled.

QLog                                     |  QLog                            | QLog Config               |
Writes Into output file  |   Writes into stderr  | OutputFile defined |
No                                        |  Yes                               | No                                   |
Yes                                       |  No                                | Yes                                  |

Hope that makes it clear now.
Seems that QLog code is a little hard to read so I will add a lots of commends in there :).

Cheers,
 WB