[Development] need to handle touch events rather than depending on mouse event synthesis

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Wed Feb 29 18:08:19 CET 2012

Shawn:

  This sounds like the roots of a strong proposal -- carry on!

  Two thoughts:

    o Please be sure your "pointing device" proposal
      can be generalized beyond "mice and touchscreens".
      There are certainly other pointing devices already
      in the world (who remembers Light Pens, Joy sticks,
      and "Dial Boxes";-) ) and others that will become
      fully practical soon (eye tracking where your point-
      of-regard acts as the pointing device).

      We should make sure the new approach is "future
      proof" to the maximal possible degree.

    o Please be sure that pinch/unpinch gestures fit
      within the overall strategy.

  Note: I only mention these points to make them explicit;
         I'm not suggesting any omission on your part.

                          Atlant