[Development] QtCS: OpenGL session notes

Samuel Rødal samuel.rodal at nokia.com
Mon Jul 2 12:10:44 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 01:46 PM, Storm-Olsen Marius (Nokia-MP/Austin) wrote:
> On 28/06/2012 01:59, ext Samuel Rødal wrote:
>> On 06/27/2012 06:30 PM, ext marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
>> In theory we could even support both options in the windows platform
>> plugin, and choose either depending on what the QSurfaceFormat asks
>> for. OpenGL ES 2 via ANGLE, and desktop OpenGL 2 and above via the
>> native OpenGL drivers.
>
> Are you sure that would be possible? The ANGLE project is about
> translating OpenGL calls to DirectX, so it might be hard to support both
> at the same time? Or do you mean that we would have two different
> plugins, where we link ANGLE to just one of them?

Well, I guess it's not possible to link against the ANGLE OpenGL library
and native OpenGL libraries at the same time, so maybe this wouldn't
work out in practice, unless we do a lot of runtime resolving magic...
Not talking about using different plugins, since QtGui itself nedes to
link against OpenGL.

> If so, where you planning on mixed usage (OpenGL ES2 and OpenGL 2 usage
> at the same time)?

Nope, just for an application to be able to explicitly use desktop
OpenGL if so desired. At best we could hope to support using OpenGL ES 2
for one QWindow and desktop OpenGL for another, but definitely not
mixing the two within the same context.

--
Samuel