[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 4 20:33:03 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 18.27.19, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose to move the math3d folder with all the
> portings of course to QtCore from QtGUI in Qt5. The reason is simple:
> I have recently started to work again on QtAudio3D, and I realized
> that, I would need such things like QVector3D. Surely, an 3D audio Qt5
> add-on should not depend on QtGui since wrapping coordinates and so
> forth are basically a core feature to me. I have already started
> writing the change, but it is unfinished yet.
>
> As far as I can tell, the codebase is almost pure core construction,
> except the toTransform(), toAffine() and so forth helper methods.
> Those would need to be ported on top of the simple moving. I do not
> expect that a very hard job. It is probably mostly historical reason
> as how that was born with OpenGL in mind (just clearly speculating
> though), but the need is now just arising for doing this more
> accessible.
>
> Please share your concerns! Thank you in advance.

My concern is that QtCore is not a dumping ground for "everything non-GUI that
some library or app might need". We now have two discussions about moving
classes into QtCore.

I want to see a good argument of why it should be in QtCore, as opposed to why
it shouldn't be in QtGui. 99% of the applications link to QtGui anyway, so I'm
not convinced the move would gain anything in any way.

And you also need to tell me that the classes are generally useful, even
outside of any relation to OpenGL (which was their original goal).