[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 5 18:13:19 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 5 de julho de 2012 17.00.36, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > No, that's not my thinking. I said nothing of that, so please don't
> > attribute
> those things to me.
>
> That is exactly what you have said. I mentioned that there could be a
> shared and collaborative solution (not necessarily QtCore like I said
> many times) outside QtGui (similarly to kdecore, kio-core, and so
> forth outside kdeui in frameworks), and you keep saying, no it does
> not make sense with QtGui.

I didn't say anything about there being an outside library. I'm simply saying
that, as the QtCore maintainer, I do not want those classes in QtCore. The
only thing I said about "other modules" is "please check Eigen first".

> > Repeating old data will not help, unless you believe I misunderstood you.
> > In
> that case, don't just repeat, but rephrase.
>
> You have done. I would not like to still depend on QtGui in a command
> line application. Unsure, how I can rephrase that.

And I'd like not to have the model classes in QtCore when I'm making a
networking application, but we live in an imperfect world. If we divide the
libraries too much, we lose in load time because the dynamic linker will
suffer. Instead, we try to provide a reasonable set of libraries by
compromising a little.

> > class Q_GUI_EXPORT QVector2D
> > {
> >
> > public:
> >    QVector2D();
> >
> >   QVector2D(qreal xpos, qreal ypos);
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > private:
> >    float xp, yp;
> >
> > };
>
> This is a wrong example. We have been talking about 3D feature, not 2D...

*sigh*

Subject: Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

$ git ls-files *math3d*/*.h
src/gui/math3d/qgenericmatrix.h
src/gui/math3d/qmatrix4x4.h
src/gui/math3d/qquaternion.h
src/gui/math3d/qvector2d.h
src/gui/math3d/qvector3d.h
src/gui/math3d/qvector4d.h

So QVector2D is *definitely* on-topic. But in any case, we can look at
QVector3D:

class Q_GUI_EXPORT QVector3D
{
[...]
private:
    float xp, yp, zp;
};

> > Is float enough for your needs and for the needs of those the other people
>
> you're trying to tell me would use this class?
>
> No, it is not. 3D audio also uses integers.

Then these classes that are in QtGui need to stay in QtGui unmodified. We
settle the subject: there's nothing to be moved. Anything you may want to add
is a new feature and would be something for 5.1. I'd like to see it born as a
playground project first.

> > I'd much rather we adopted Eigen into the Qt ecosystem.
>
> What don't you understand about that, it has much more features than I
> need, so it would be more convenient to deal with a simple solution?
> Like, I said, it is a huge overkill to me to deal with. You would like
> to adopt for your purpose, fine, do it. I would not like for my way
> smaller amount of goals.

See my comment above about the model classes in QtCore.