[Development] Why don't we have notify signal for all of the properties?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Jul 6 13:02:16 CEST 2012

Op 6-7-2012 12:45, Tr3wory schreef:
> Hi all!
>
> I found the QML's property binding system really powerful, but as far
> as I understand on the C++ side it relies on the property's NOTIFY
> signal.
> I know the notify signal is added around Qt 4.6, and as far as I
> understand we couldn't add more signals to existing properties in the
> 4.x timeframe because of the binary compatibility. (Please correct me
> if I'm wrong about this.)
>
> If I'm right about this it means we can't add these after 5.0... So do
> we have any plans to add more signal in 5.0?
> I think these can make easier to use existing Qt classes from QML, and
> I think these can be useful even in the good old C++.
> (And also make it possible to create a BindingElement like class in
> C++ (this is what I'm experimenting with right now)).
>
> What do you think?

I'm curious what other signals you see room for? I can't think of other
useful signals in the contect of a property.
What I *would* like, is to have a mechanism of having additional
attributes for properties. That would make creating property-editor like
interfaces much easier. However, I am not sure if extending this is all
that useful for the majority of uses of Qt.

André