[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Jul 9 09:52:12 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>> The float version is a simplified duplicate of QVector3D. Is this really the right way to go?
>
> You should really consider in QtGui to use 3D point base in the
> future, and extend that with your math wishes.

Not to mention, it is the same duplicated situation with QPointF and
QVector2D already, almost in the same sense. I can just encourage the
collaboration more again. Build only your layer on top of what QtCore
already provides, so establish what it does not provide.

>> And how useful is really the integer version? There is almost no 3D math that works with integer only arithmetics.
>
> If there is a point representing 2d with integers, I do not see the
> problem with having the analogy for 3D. Please note that, tracking
> coordinates itself has nothing to do with math. It can be used outside
> that area as well.

I mean, you do not always need a hefty math library for simple things.
I personally believe that the point classes make sense in QtCore.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp