[Development] Contributing to the Qt Project behind a hefty firewall and proxy server

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Jul 13 13:42:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

There are certain situations out there, when it is currently not so
simple to contribute to the Qt Project. One typical use case, if there
is a proxy server without using socks, just plain http. In those
cases, ssh tunneling does not work either properly. Imagine that, the
ports 80 and 443 are allowed only.

What one can do for instance in the KDE project is simpler since
git.kde.org does listen via ssh on the port 443, so that establishment
can be used for cloning and pushing to the KDE repositories.
Unfortunately, this is not the case with the Qt Project currently. As
far as I have been told, the port 443 is used for the Gerrit
webinterface. What one could do is to use a gateway server listetning
on port 443 via ssh. Unfortunately, many people do not have such an
ability. Furthermore, I do think it is suboptimal, if each contributor
in this situation should solve the issue in question on their own.

Many people cannot just unfortunately use the port 29418 recommended.
Hence, I am now asking, if it is possible to find a solution for
people willing to contribute to the Qt Project with these conditions.
One option is an outside proxy on the port 443, but any solution is
welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp