[Development] Contributing to the Qt Project behind a hefty firewall and proxy server

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 13 15:27:48 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2012 12.40.12, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
wrote:
> I think we could do the same setup as GitHub, and simply have port
> forwarding from ssh.qt-project.org:443 to
> codereview.qt-project.org:29418. That should enable most people to work
> behind corporate firewalls.

I think we should try that. However, note that this could be a violation of
the terms of use of that corporate network since the traffic is not web.
Circumventing the protection is not a good idea.

So I also think that the IT departments of those companies need to do their
job. If there's a legitimate reason for a developer working behind the
corporate firewall to contribute to Qt, then this developer should use the Qt
methods and simply get their IT people to provide an approved and supported
way of doing so.

IT is a supporting organisation, they are there need to make sure that the
other functions can do their jobs and that the integrity of the network is
maintained. They are not there to dictate how those other functions should do
their jobs.

So I suggest that each developer behind such a firewall open an IT ticket and
request a proxy to reach ports 9418 and 29418. If necessary, escalate to the
managers and and stop working when the firewall prevents work from getting
done.