[Development] Contributing to the Qt Project behind a hefty firewall and proxy server

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Jul 13 17:32:15 CEST 2012

> If it is for a personal network (as you now seem to be hinting at)
> is the issue with opening up said ports for outbound traffic?

Perhaps I associate the word "corporate" distinctly due to my language
difficulties. :) In any case, what I mean is that, It is all policy
(regardless company or personal) after all. It may be a valid use case
in my opinion not opening a port globally everywhere needed in this
situation, but solved centrally in one place. If I had to use the same
port at many places, sure. Perhaps it is better to consider, but that
is not the situation anyway.

> If you are really that bothered then only open up the ports for outbound
> traffic when you need to use them and then close them again after. You could
> even place restrictions on the allowed source and destination IPs etc if
> desired.

Again, I prefer doing this in one centralized place instead of X
separate where this need arises just for this project.

> Why would opening these ports for outbound traffic be any more risky than any
> other existing ports.

There might be valid reasons for that, why two are only open. It is
the same at a few big companies I worked with except that certain
proxy servers use socks which allow easier treatment without the need
for this request.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp