[Development] Contributing to the Qt Project behind a hefty firewall and proxy server

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 13 17:55:08 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 13 de julho de 2012 15.04.36, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
wrote:
> Ok, you guys just misunderstand each other.
>
> Thiago says we should do it, to ensure that the Qt Project is accessible
> behind badly configured corporate firewalls.
>
> He also says that you should at the same time have a discussion with
> Corporate Security to make them understand that the current situation is
> hurting the organization, and try to get it changed so you _don't_ have
> to circumvent Corporate Security. (Normally it's grounds for getting the
> "pink slip" immediately.)
>
> So, I think we'll go ahead and get a port forward setup.

Yeah.

But let's make sure that we are NOT recommending that people circumvent IT
network policies. If the IT infrastructure blocks the traffic, then they must
have a reason for it. It can be because:

1) the block is overly broad and shouldn't be there
or
2) the block is intentional and the Git/Gerrit/SSH traffic should not be
permitted

We simply don't know which it is. The use by that user of the SSH server
running on port 443 could lead to a violation of the corporate network
security policy. We must make it clear that we are not responsible and that
the user must figure that out with their people.

Which leads me to my suggestion: if your firewall blocks the traffic to port
29418, create the IT ticket now and get an approved way of doing Gerrit traffic.
Follow the company's procedures.

And the best way to ensure that it gets done is to prove that you cannot work
without the solution. Prove it by spending a week idling because you could not
do your work. That's also valid for consultants.

Yes, I have worked for big companies and I still do. In both Nokia and Intel,
there are approved ways of accessing those ports that don't involve
circumventing the security policy.