[Development] Suggestion on QML portability

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jul 16 03:18:02 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:02:33AM +1000, Alan Alpert wrote:
> The theory is that you're not trying to maintain a single
> codebase for both QML1 and QML2.

[Maybe it's about time to run reality checks on certain
theories anyway...]

> > [...] Is there really that much pain in having a
> > deprecated closeSoftwareInputPanel method so I don't have
> > to resort to somehow preprocessing the QML, for instance?
>
> Yes, there is that much pain.

Pain for whom? The makers of Qt or the users of Qt?

The idea of re-using chunks of code in different products,
possibly targeting different environments is not exactly
unheard of.

At some point of time there was some kind of consensus that
_using_ Qt should be painless, even if that causes a bit of pain
on the implementation side. I'd like to get back to that state.

> At least that's my interpretation from the example of Qt3Support.

Qt3Support provided a few step stones when porting from Qt 3 to
Qt 4 and as such was highly appreciated in the Real World. This
e.g. allowed normal feature development and maintenance being
interleaved with porting the GUI.

Andre'