[Development] OpenGL Support in Qt5

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Jul 16 17:45:28 CEST 2012

On Monday 16 July 2012 08:09:29 BRM wrote:
> > From: Sean Harmer <sean.harmer at kdab.com>
> > I don't like how even building the wayland QPA plugin means that we limit
> > Qt
> >
> > and the apps built with it to OpenGL ES. I really don't want to get into a
> > situation where we can build modern OpenGL apps for the desktop that work
> > fine on Windows and Mac but not on Linux just because Qt for Linux has
> > the wayland qpa plugin built.
>
> Quite agreed.
>
> > Ideas welcome.
>
> Just $0.02, but perhaps this would be good functionality to provide for
> developers for 5.0/5.1, and we instruct distributions not to provide it by
> default for the time being.

Sorry I do not understand. What do you mean by "it" in this sentence?

> Once the world has caught up a bit, then that
> can be changed, but those that are using the functionality, etc can do so
> and build/provide their own libs if necessary.
>
> Yes, it may mean that app developers might have to provide their own install
> of the Qt libs ( or distributions provide two version that can be
> simultaneously installed - that's up to them) for a while, but why hinder
> the progress of Qt apps?

Yes I can see there being a need to have two builds of Qt on desktop Linux for
a while - until Wayland and OpenGL vendors support full OpenGL.

> And, btw, I'm thinking of some of the larger Qt-based applications like
> AutoDesk's AutoCAD. (No, I don't work for AutoDesk or work on AutoCAD
> itself; I'm just aware that they do use Qt.) Or VLC, or other video
> intensive applications.

I am also thinking of any application based on top of vtk, openscenegraph etc.
(Yes I know OSG can be compiled for ES support but most distro's do not do
so).

Cheers,

Sean