[Development] Suggestion on QML portability

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Tue Jul 17 17:00:04 CEST 2012

On 17/07/2012 06:02, ext Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
>> 2012/7/17 Sven Anderson <Sven.Anderson at snom.com On 17.07.2012
>> 07:47, Alan Alpert wrote:
>>> But our Qt4Support library exists and is called QtQuick1. All
>>> the old symbols should be there, if you want to take the easy
>>> road to saying "done, ported to Qt 5!".
>> Well, there is no other choice if you have a platform without
>> hardware graphics acceleration. ;-)
> [OT]
>
> Without _OpenGL_. :-) There are other flavors of hardware
> acceleration APIs, I expect even more different in the future.
>
> (2D accelerators are often bundled with GPUs and perform 2D rendering
> ops faster than GPUs, but are unusable with QML 2 / SceneGraph; see
> pvr2d).

2D accelerators bundled with GPUs perform 2D rendering ops faster than
GPUs? Uhmm... that sentence is conflicting in my head, unless you mean
that you are using highly specialized boards with multiple GPUs (n*PVR)
on them to do things really really fast in parallel.

Btw, does this means you are trying/wanting to run Qt 5 on PowerVR
chipsets from before 2001? All the PVR chips since Feb. 2001 (Series 4
or higher) support some form of OpenGL/GLES and/or DirectX 8.0 or higher
(ANGLE requires DirectX 9, but maybe it can be tweaked to use 8, Windows
only of course).

Anyways, probably good to know which 2D boards you're talking about,
since others in the community might have experience with them, and could
help out?

--
.marius